City of Merrill
Ordinance No. 252 A, Title XI: Business Regulations: Sections 110.04 passed 10-08-2015:
General Licensing Provisions requires anyone conducting business within the City to be licensed.
Business License forms are submitted to the City Recorder and are deemed approved when approval is obtained from the City of Merrill Common Council in monthly Council meetings. Licenses shall be valid until the 31st of December following date of issuance. The applicant certifies that he/she will comply with all applicable Federal and State laws as well as all ordinances of the City of Merrill relating to the regulation of his or her business activity. Business License Fees not paid by February 1st will be assessed a penalty of 5% of that fee per month as long as the fee remains delinquent.
2023 Business License Application Form Click HERE
- Permanent Business License: A business located inside Merrill City Limits $100 annual fee and covers all in one location.
- ****Duplex Rental: Submit a separate business application for each rental location. $55 annual fee.
- ****House Rental: Submit a separate business application for each rental location. $50 annual fee. 3 or more attached rental units, apartment complex includes triplex= 3 units attached, apartments or multi-family units(excluding mobile home parks and motels). This cannot be combined with another type of business license. $50 for 1st unit and $5 per additional unit. Not to exceed a maximum id $100 annually. Example: 12 unit apartment complex fee would be calculated as $50 + 12 x $5= $110 but the maximum is $100 annually. Fee would be $100.
- Delivery Service Only for Non-Resident Business: $50 annual fee.
- Home Based Business: $50 annual fee. Home occupations earning less than $1500 are exempt.
- Day License: These fees cannot be applied toward an annual fee. $10 per day on weekdays $5 per day on weekends.
- Mobile Home Park, Motels: $100 per complex.
Resident yard sales, weekly farmer’s market participants, festival vendors, and City yard sales in City park or City Hall, minors 18 or under (no notification needed) are exempt.
PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE THE BUSINESS LICENSE FEE WITH YOUR MONTHLY WATER UTILITY PAYMENT. THESE FEES MUST BE PAID SEPARATELY.
**** 50.06 Rental Property; Owner Responsibility. The owner of premises rented to others which water is furnished by the city shall be responsible for payment of all water charges and services rendered and it shall be the duty of each property owner renting his or her premises to require his or her tenant to pay the water rental and charges. (Ord. 264, passed 7-7-1987)